Released on Tuesday, September 21, 2021.
Threats from cyberattacks can be easily ignored by courts. There are many rationalizations:
“Our court is too small to worry about cyberattacks”
“We have a great firewall that keeps everything out”
“Our employees change their passwords every three months just like clockwork”
“Everyone has been told not to open suspicious email attachments”
Often the perspective can be “We’re good”.
You are good until the morning you fire up your desktop only to find a black screen with the words “pay $50,000 in bitcoin and we will send you the codes to unlock your case management system.” Cyber-experts continue to advise that it isn’t a matter of “if,” it is a matter of “when.”
In this episode we are talking to court professionals, several of whom have suffered through a cyberattack in their court. We’ll be exploring questions including:
- How did the court respond to the cyberattack?
- What could management have done differently?
- What could they have done to have prevented a cyberattack in the first place?
- What advice does our panel of experts have for the rest of us?
Our panel today includes:
- Kevin Bowling, Court Administrator for the 20th Circuit Court in Ottawa County, Michigan Kevin is also co-chair of the National Center for State Courts’ Joint Technology Committee and has helped develop three resource bulletins to assist court managers with handling cyberattacks
- Julie Hidy, Court Administrator for the Probate Court in Fayette County, Ohio
- Casey Kennedy, Director for the Office of Court Information Services at the Office of State Court Administration in Austin, Texas
- Jorge Basto, Director of IT Programs for the Cherokee County Clerk of Courts in Canton, Georgia
- Montrella Jackson, Court Administrator for the Akron Municipal Court, in Akron, Ohio.
Click here to listen to the podcast. Video version is 37 minutes 30 seconds long and the audio version is 36 minutes 10 seconds long.
Leave a question or comment about the episode at email@example.com.
Show Notes> Additional Resources
> About the Presenters